Monday, December 31, 2007

Well, hallelujah!

Well, hallelujah!

Got all sorts of good news at the clinic today.

First off, I haven't forgotten how to use a wheelchair (I know, that's a little sick but it's the most exercise I've had in quite awhile). We got to the clinic and I used one of their chairs rather than trying to hobble around on crutches (my foot's pretty swollen and painful).

They had a little trouble drawing blood from the 6 week old catheter but the phlebotomist (blood tech) was patient and knew what she was doing, eventually coaxing 8 tubes of blood out of it.

After the time in the lab, we went to see the doc. When asked how I was doing, I said I'd be doing jumping jacks except for this stupid foot thing. (I am feeling so much stronger than yesterday) She had me take the shoe off and even I was surprised at how swollen it was. We talked about it a little and, once she was assured that it's a chronic problem with nothing to do with the transplant, asked what I usually do for it.

Usually, it's Aleve, ice and elevation. She chimed in with, "and we won't let you take anti-inflammatories". Then the first of the really good news, "your platelet count is high enough for you to take Aleve". It's amazing what becomes worth rejoicing over at different times of our lives.

Then she got to the results from Friday. The blood cultures and nasal swab had come back negative. No RSV, no fungus, no nothing. She listened to my lungs and the crackles (indicating possible fluid in them) that were noticed Friday are gone. Lungs, heart, etc all sounded good.

Before leaving, we made another appointment for Friday. For this one, they'll draw some more blood for tests. I'll see Dr. Kauffman, to talk about the whole experience and future plans. Then I'll go to Interventional Radiology...WHERE THEY'LL REMOVE MY CATHETER!

Got home and took the Aleve and iced things down. I still can't put weight on it but am willing to bet that there'll be real improvement by this time tomorrow.

A few days ago, Alice began an effort to fatten me up. She's got me eating three meals a day now...I think. I feel stronger. I'm looking forward to being able to move around and get over the last of this. Alice should be returning to her job next week, and I'd darn well better be lots more independent than I have been. It will be quite a change for both of us.

As always, thank you for caring enough to keep up with this adventure.

Jerry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Flamingo,

Great Clinic visit. It is indeed a Happy New year. We had reason to think of you this morning, as my wife and I walked home from the "Dancing Goats" coffee house on Ponce in Decatur. From behind us came the thundering sound of a herd of cattle driven by shouting cowboys. We first looked for a place to hide and then glanced back. Over a hundred bikers Swooooshed by. Next New Years you will be among them.

Harry2 @ DMC Gym

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

I was sad to hear that you had to go through this ordeal, but from what I have learned from you in the past 7 years that I have known you, (can't believe it has been that long) you will be a better person for it. Hope you continue to improve and all of us @ the AP will be thinking of you.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and get well my friend.

Anthony

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

Happy New Year to you and Alice. I'm very happy you're back home and in good spirits.

Fabricio

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry, I glad to see you are doing better. I was on vacation almost the whole month of December (mostly 1/2 days). Well I just wanted you to know that you were in my thoughts. Take Care. Miss you!
Kem