Tuesday, December 25, 2007

First full day home

Jerry's first full day home started out quite well. He said he'd slept well and that he was hungry - a great sign!

As the morning progressed, his coughing kept getting worse. He'd barely catch his breath from one bout before another began. He wasn't running a fever, but his temperature was up. We finally decided it was time to call the doc.

Dr. Kaufman prescribed an inhalant which he promptly called in and I promptly left to get. We are very fortunate to have a terrific pharmacist, Scott, and his wonderful staff. They consistently provide us professional service while showing just how much they care. I hope they understand just how much we appreciate them, especially in this particular medical adventure. The inhalant seems to have helped some, though we did have a rocky evening. Jerry wasn't the least bit hungry but was willing to have an Ensure.

For the rest of the world, this is Christmas morning and we wish each and everyone of you the merriest of Christmas. For us, it's the next day of our challenge to rebuild Jerry's strength. I am kind of a nut about Christmas, but I've found it necessary over the years to be quite flexible about the exact date due to the challenge of having family scattered all over the country. I know we will celebrate this holiday with some of the traditional fanfare (food, gifts, etc.) eventually, but for today we are celebrating what we see as the core message of the holiday: love.

I can honestly say that I love Jerry more today than ever and I see that love shining back at me from his eyes. We are blessed with loving family members who continue to boost our spirits from all across the country. We are deeply grateful to our friends, both in town and out of town, who have shown us love in many forms, especially over the past couple of months. In all the ways that truly matter, this is our best Christmas yet.

With love and deep gratitude, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
So VERY glad you made it home.Continue the progress and plan on Wheels of Fire.
We have 11 here for Christmas. Craig did a very professional CD with 32 minutes of his compositions along with his vocals. We just finished playing it and were mesmerized. He's our son but he's so talented, I can't deny it.
Hope you got my details of yesterday. Not sure they were forwarded. This computer stuff still is challenging for an old man.
Love you Jerry,
Ken and Dale

Brian said...

Merry Christmas to you both! What a wonderful gift you two have in each other.

Anonymous said...

What a great Christmas present, to get out of the hospital and back in your own home. Hope today is better and the RSV clears up some more. Give yourself some recovery time, each day is a blessed day. Sure nice to see your smiling face!

Anonymous said...

Dear Alice and Jerry,

WHAT GREAT NEWS! Been out of touch for a few days but wanted to check the blog this morning and read the news. I cannot tell you how Happy we are for both of you! What a GREAT way to celebrate the New Year!
So from us to you two:
Have a Happy, HEALTHY & Prosperous New Year!

All our Bests!

Susan and Bruce

Unknown said...

Hi Jer and Alice,
Glad to hear you're doing well at home! You look great in the picture and a lot like your handsome daddy!
Everyone in Charlotte and Florida sends their best wishes to you for a quick and complete recovery!
Love always,
Marla, Brian, Justin, Rhea and Jake!

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
I was just reading your blog and all that you've been through. Robin has been giving me updates but I thought I'd write to you myself and send my good wishes to you. So glad to hear you're out of the hospital and home again. I'm so happy for both you and Alice. I'm sure she has been your rock. When I saw you online again sending jokes I figured you must be feeling a bit more like yourself. I have to say I think you look pretty damn good in that picture (for you anyway, ha!!!).
May the New Year be a wonderful New Year for the two of you and may it be an especially HEALTHY one and a very, very happy one as well.
Love,
Ellen (Tolchinsky) Pons