Friday, December 21, 2007

Embarrassment

Okay, I'm a computer geek..have been one for many years. Guess who got me back online? Yup...Alice did it.

When I'm discussing work, she often asks a question from an angle that I wouldn't consider. Her question usually points me to a new way of looking at the problem...giving me a nice clean solution. This time, she asked a very simple question:
Don't you have a dialup modem in your laptop?

The answer was 'Duh!' I called a coworker who got me the phone number and I was up and running, albeit at old-fashioned dialup speeds. But hey, it works.

So what's been going 0n? Not a lot. Blood tests, CT scans of sinii (sinuses) and chest, x-rays, etc, etc. As Alice mentioned, we had a major letdown earlier this week. We were told I was going home, just waiting for the official discharge papers. A little while later, they recanted. The culture had come back positive and I was going to have another series of the tent treatments.

I can deal with everything they throw at me, except for these treatments. They screw up my entire day. If it weren't for them, I could justify the extra time here because the longer I'm here, the easier it will be for Alice once I'm home. Apparently, my numbers are good enough for me to go to a restaurant with no mask on...as long as it's not really crowded.

Alice mentioned two of the angels here; there're several more. Vani is special, asking the doct0r questions any time she sees something unusual. After spending a day waiting for a nasal culture, she took the initiative to ask the doc if she should get one. There have been so many nurses, some very good, some not so good...but this is only from my perspective.

So, bottom line is I'm back on and will, hopefully, be able to keep the blog more up-to-date.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Jer,

So glad to see you're connected to the outside world again - maybe Alice can be the one to make that nasty virus go away too.

Keep the spirits up - it sounds like you're close to getting out of there.

Love the picture!!! I really think this is a good look for you.

Much love,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Hi Flamingo,

It sounds like Alice "RFM"ed, and got you "back on the air". You not only look great bald, but this will keep those long curls from getting caught in the sprocket.

Harry2 @ DMC Gym

Anonymous said...

SO great to see you back on line, Jerry, and great to see that awesome noggin! Grow yourself a goatee and you can lead a metal band! (Although I'd steer clear of the mosh pit, as there's bound to be a lot of germs down there...)

I've had a horrible bug this week (after almost fighting it off in the week prior), with a nice toasty fever to crown it off. Fever is gone, finally. Seeing you back online has been a lift. I check in everyday and really enjoyed seeing you, literally, when I logged on this morning.

Hugs to you and that lovely lady of yours. Virus, begone already! That's an order from your Mad Italian friend.

XX Tracy

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

GREAT to have you back on-line and also able to update you blog, this will also help Alice a little, now it is YOUR job to do it! Sounds like she has been a little busy keep you and the people at the hospital in line and us up to date and for both, we THANK HER!

We said a Mishaberach for you on Friday - so it better work so you can get your *** home! I know this is a public forum so I will keep it clean.

Seriously, seems like you are getting better, get rid of this Virus and get home.

All our love,

Susan and Bruce

Anonymous said...

Jerry

I tried to call you at the hospital...Emory, right? They said they had no Jerry Lipsky there. I said, anybody with the last name Lipsky? They said, we're not allowed to disclose that information. I tried calling room E709. You're not there. So, this will have to suffice. I'm thinking of you and hoping you'll be back on a bike soon.

Anonymous said...

Jerry and Alice,

What can your friends do to help? I'll be back in town in a week, but are you welcoming visitors? Do you need food? Yard work? Anything?

Diane at cell 404-374-3990 or dloupe@mindspring.com