Saturday, December 8, 2007

Masks!! Okay, now I'm mad!

This amyloidosis has been quite a challenge, but I've been adjusting so far. I really don't mind stepping up and taking care of the home fires while Jerry deals with this bit of annoyance. I enjoy the walk to and from the parking deck to his room. What the heck, I haven't had time to go to the gym for a while, so it's getting me back into shape for when I can finally return. I don't mind schlepping my meals to his room so we can share some normalcy.

But these darn masks make it mighty difficult to kiss the man I love and that makes me MAD!!!

Okay, I get that it's for his protection and I would truly hate to pass along any germ that would cause him any illness with his white blood cell count so low. But not kissing my handsome husband!?!? This is a new kind of torture!!

I went to an annual holiday party with some dearly treasured friends and it almost felt like I was naked without him beside me. I even ate extra dessert because I know he loves the desserts these friends make. Heck, my dinner plate looked a whole lot like his at pot luck suppers! (I did cheat and make half of it salad.) We all agreed we were looking forward to next year when Jerry would be back at the table amazing us with his wonderful appetite.

For all those concerned, Jerry has learned his lesson about exertion on the bicycle. He really didn't expect his body to react like that. He is considered a low maintenance patient because he really does do what the doctors and nurses tell him to do! You know, for a genius, he really is pretty smart in the ways that count the most - he's sensible.

I had hoped to be having another pajama party this weekend, but alas, I must sleep alone. He's worried that I'm not getting enough rest and I do think it would be a difficult challenge to sleep with one of those dang masks on. :-(
I've got my fingers crossed that his numbers will bounce back now that he's getting the growth hormone shots and I'll have him home in our own bed very soon.

Thank you, each of you, for your continued support, prayers and comments. You give both of us such strength!

No comments: