Sunday, December 16, 2007

Back a week--Written off-line on the 16th

Well, it's Sunday night and I haven't done anything here in the blog for quite awhile. This time it's not my fault. Among several other shortcomings here in the dungeon (actually, it's the ground floor but feels like a dungeon) are almost non-existant wifi. When I can connect, it seems to die within about 5 minutes or so. It's been frustrating as all !@#$ trying to do anything.

Anyway, I finally figured out that I can still do entries off-line. Once I'm released, I'll post them.

So what's been going on? Friday evening, I had my first tent treatment. Not what I expected really. They came in with this industrial exhaust fan/filter (think large home ac filter, but pretty thick) and a plastic tent, maybe 8-10 mils thick. They put it over the head of the bed, covering my upper body. Then, they cut away the entire front of the plastic. The exhaust filter sits in here with me, right behind my head.

On the side, they have a funny-looking box, where they place a bottle of liquid. A pump draws fumes from the bottle and passes it to a hose that connects to the face mask. They turn on the exhaust, turn on the pump and slip the mask over my face. I lay like that for 3 hours at a time. I sure hope it's doing some good because it's rather hellish, mostly because of the length of time and how much of my day it sucks up.

That was about it for Friday. Saturday I got my new 'do. Alice took the promised picture today, Sunday, and I tried to post it...leading up to all the extra frustration. Sorry, as much as I'd like to keep things up to date, I can't do it all from my phone.

Saturday night, I received 2 units of whole blood. What a difference in energy. No more shortness of breath...of course, I can't actually walk anywhere yet, still stuck in this 12 x 12 room. The process of getting the blood was no fun though. Because of the quarantine during tent treatments, they can't really do anything during that time. So, the blood was done at bedtime. It takes two people to read numbers aloud to ensure that it's the right blood for the right patient. After it's running for 15 minutes, they check vitals. After another hour, they do it again. About an hour later, they change bags, doing it all over again. Suffice it to say I got no sleep that night. On the other hand, I asked for some benedryl before the next treatment and slept right through those 3 hours.

Also I had two treatments Saturday and two more Sunday. I'm now up to 5 total. The doc tells me that I'll have another nasal swab Monday and, if the results are clear Tuesday, I'm outta here Wednesday. No guarantees and I'm not packing until then.
entered Sunday 10pm
====================================

No comments: