Saturday, January 5, 2008

"Complete Hematological Remission"

Along with some other great news, that's what we were told at the clinic yesterday (1/4/08). What that means requires a little background. The badly formed proteins, amyloids, had been seen in my bloodstream before the transplant, etc.

In the latest blood tests yesterday, there are no amyloids in my blood! In other words, my newly generated bone marrow is generating perfectly normal proteins...and none of the bad ones! This total remission is seen in about 50% of those undergoing the treatment. They've yet to see anyone relapse from this full remission.

On a similar note, more background. A few weeks before I went into the hospital, my kidneys were dumping about 7 grams of protein out daily where there should be none...or no more than a few milligrams. On my second day in the hospital, that number had gone up to 22 grams (about 1/2 the daily average intake of protein). This was an indication of a kidney problem and the reason I had to originally see the nephrologist who thought he was G-d.

In Monday's urinalysis, the protein output has now dropped back down to 6 grams. This is a very clear sign of the kidneys returning to normal. They're repairing themselves, flushing the amyloids that were causing all the initial problems.

On top of that, I now own a slightly used, almost bloodless, Trilumen Hickman Catheter that lived in my chest, carotid artery and heart for about 6 weeks. I'm looking for ideas on how to display it. Alice suggested I proudly display it inside an upstairs closet or attic. :-).

In a few days, I'll be back to my normal meds...with the addition of an anti-pneumonia drug taken 3 times a week. The nephrologist's diuretic is gone, along with its required horse-sized potassium pills. The Albuterol inhaler was causing tremors and is now gone. With my immune system almost normal, the other drugs go away in the next couple of days.

Yesterday, I was officially discharged from the transplant unit. I'll need to return to the clinic for followups but not nearly as often; my next visit takes place in about a month.

On our way out, we decided to stop by at the BMT ward, 7E. We walked in the door and were greeted by several nurses. More recognized Alice since I'd lost my hair since I last saw them...also, she's the one who brought all the bribes...chocolate, candy, roasted nuts, etc. One said she's the one who saw me pass out after riding the stationary bike. We had a few good laughs and then left. Unfortunately, we were too early to see the second shift. Still, it felt good to see those wonderful people who took such good care of me .

We ate dinner out last night to celebrate.

I still tire easily and seem to require more sleep than before but I know my body's been through a lot and still has a long way to go before it's back to 100% but there's light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not a train headlight).

Thank you all for everything. We couldn't have done it without you!

Jerry and Alice

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Sounds Great! Remember to keep that bald head covered when going out in this cold weather.
Get you an Indiana Jones type hat like I have. I call it my indian hat (it keeps my wig warm (wigwam)); ha, haha, ha, ha. I am so funny. But more importantly, I am overjoyed with the good reports we are hearing about you.
Maybe you can return to work soon. I know that you are bored to distraction by now.
Best wishes and continued prayers for the return of your strength and energy so that you can do the things you like to do.

Anonymous said...

We're all so thrilled at the news!!! We knew you could beat it!!! No nasty old amyloidosis can take down my big brother!

Seriously tho, what wonderful news to start the new year with (a few days late, but so what).

Just please keep taking care, and I do agree with the hat idea - even if it isn't 20 some degrees like it is up here.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to call you tomorrow - I do want to hear your voice too.

Much love to you and Alice,
Robin & family

Cheryl said...

Jerry
It sure sounds like you're a doctor's dream patient with these great results.
I'm thrilled & so grateful for all this good news.,

Cheryl and the gymmies

Brian said...

Hurrah!

Chris said...

Way to go Jerry! Praying for you and looking forward to seeing you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jer, Great News! I know it's been tough but if anyone could beat this, I'd bet on you (with Alice as co-pilot!) Always thinking about you! Take care, Love Marla (your other lil sis)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry,

Love your new "doo." It's gonna be great for camping trips. You might want to consider keeping it !!!!!

So, so, so glad to hear your good news.

Now just work on getting that strength back.

deb