Friday, December 14, 2007

Yet another first!

When I first met Jerry, he had a full head of hair. He let me know, very early on, that most of it was a weave since he had begun to lose his hair in his 20's. It took a few years, but I like to believe I finally convinced him to give up the weave and show off his beautiful head.

I guess the chemo has made him young again: he started losing his hair again!

There are many things I've never tried or done. Some I hope to do one day, others I could pass on for the rest of my life and be happy. One of those "pass on" things for me has always been cutting hair and especially using any kind of hair trimmer. Not sure why, but it has always frightened me.

Tonight, it truly was an honor to help Jerry by shaving his head. I won't say I wasn't frightened, because I was. But more than that, I felt useful and helpful and that felt terrific!

Think about it: he's in a place where they feed him, change his linens, and focus on his well being. There's really not much of a practical nature that I can do for him. I know he values the time we share, as do I, but I find myself always wanting to do something for him. Well, tonight I did and for that I am deeply grateful.

My handsome husband has a beautiful head. I plan to take the camera when I visit tomorrow and he will post pictures here, somehow. We tried to take pictures tonight with his phone, but the lighting was poor so they came out too dark. Though I like his beautiful head, I will gladly welcome back his beautiful curls!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bald is beautiful, baby! Wear it proud! :oD A mark of survivorship...and a damn good 'un, too!

I had a lovely chat with Alice tonight (Sat. evening...sure do miss you both!), to catch up a bit on girl talk and to find out the particulars about visiting you at the Emory Hilton. :) I'll call you tomorrow (Sunday) and make sure you're not in caterpillar mode (in the tent...get it?! Heehee...) before I/we come.

Good ju-ju as always. :) Hugs, Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hey - I waited all day to see the pictures - c'mon now, get them on here already.

I want to see if you look like your baby pictures.

Hope you're feeling better today, and of course, better every day after.

xoxoxo
Robin

Anonymous said...

Alice and Jerry,

Sounds like the last few days have been MORE than a handfull for you two. Thank G-D you two have each other, thought in this case Jerry is the winner!

Keep up the posts and just keep getting better!

I cannot wait to see the pictures of the Bald is BEAUTIFUL Jerry!

As Ever,

Susan and Bruce