Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Balance: an interesting concept

No time to blog lately. I've been too busy being a super wife/branch manager/non-complainer. ;-)

(Please, those of you who are kind enough to listen to my complaints, let's keep them our secret, okay?)

For me, balance is really a simple thing: faith and family first. This journey involves both for me. Jerry is the very heart and soul of my family. "Home" is wherever he is so it feels quite natural to have dinner with him most nights. It may take a little more planning, but it's worth any effort. It's also a great diet plan. I sure don't want to schlep lots of food to the hospital every night. It's a fair distance to walk from the parking lot to his room, carrying stuff especially!

Jerry's choice to live within his principles has always inspired me. His attitude and approach to dealing with this "bit of inconvience" really blows me away. I am really amazed at how well he is doing. I've heard so many horror stories about chemo and the bottoming out, I am frankly amazed when I walk into his room and find him looking much his normal self. Okay, sometimes he gets a little lazy about shaving, but he does that on weekends so it's not all that unusual. It is a reminder to me just how fortunate we are that he was in such terrific shape when this started.

A co-worker emailed me today and asked how we were doing. I told her we were on the bumpy road part of our journey but that I knew we'd be sailing on a smooth highway again in no time. I told her we couldn't miss with so many terrific people pulling for us. I am so deeply grateful to each of you who ask how Jerry is and for each of you who send thoughts and prayers his way. It does help. Keep up the great work!

With gratitude and prayers for peace.
Bike nut's (super) wife

4 comments:

Suellen said...

Alice,

You're doing a great job, Mrs. Caregiver! Please know that you are such an important part of the equation. It was so comforting to me for my husband to present an "air of normalcy" during my cancer treatments. It was great to come home, pull off the itchy wig, and just talk about our day. Heck, he's the only one who got to hear me whine.

As for Jerry's whiskers, I suppose he's holding onto any hair on his head that he can.;-)

Suellen Germani

Anonymous said...

Alice,

I know how tiring that can be just going to and from the hospital after work. You have a heavy load to carry. Be sure to take some time for yourself also. Let that house cleaning stuff go! If you pass by a table with dust -- write your name in it girl and just walk on by !

I'm one of Jerry's co-workers. Had a mastectomy January 2006, chemo, all of that nasty stuff. So I can relate to the tiredness and going bald on Jerry's end.

My husband had chrons disease for 20 years and many trips to the hospital while trying to work and raise kids. So I know your side of it also.

Neither is an easy path. Just keep up the faith. I will remember you in my prayers along with Jerry.

Debbie Compton

Bruce said...

Alice,

Keep up the GREAT Work! We have a tendency to forget how hard it is on the loved ones and I know Jerry appreciated EVERYTHING you are doing for him, there is no doubt YOU are his SOLE MATE!

Just remember our thoughts and prayers are with BOTH of you EVERYDAY and if there is ANYTHING we can do to help, we are only a phone call away!

Hope to see you both soon! And Jerry, get back on the bike and I want 20 miles tomorrow! As you said, you will feel better after you do it! Keep up your hard work!

Your Friends,

Susan and Bruce Supowitz

Anonymous said...

Alice, I have referred to you and Jerry once or twice in my confirmation calls as "the dynamic duo". Your joint handling of this twisty, winding road is just one of many reasons why the moniker fits so well.

I've been following along on the blog and am pleased to know that you're doing so well, Jerry! Attitude is so important...I commend and admire you. BOTH of you! You are both in my thoughts every single day and I'm so grateful to be able to keep up with your progress and news this way.

Sending you both tons of love and hugs and good ju-ju around the clock. We're always just a phone call away. (Well, unless I'm in session...but you get my drift...)

--Tracy