Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day +4, +5 and +6

Has it really been that long since I've actually written anything here? It's now Wednesday, D+6.

Monday and Tuesday were pretty quiet days. I rode close to 11 miles Monday. Monday night, I got hit with a 'good' case of diarrhea. Called the nurse and asked about something for it. Another lesson in hospital life. It seems there first has to be a collection of a sample, sample being defined within strict limits of fluidity. Once a qualified sample is sent to the lab, they have to culture it. Once they figure out what's going on, they may give you something. No thanks.

Because of the diarrhea and just feeling really weak in the morning, I stayed off the bike Tuesday. We're required to walk at least a mile though so I did it at a decent clip. It's funny though; part of me feels that I would have felt better in the afternoon had I actually rode. I feel as if I let myself down.

Tuesday night, Alice came over bearing Hanukkah gifts. I should mention that she's here every night; usually bringing her dinner so we have a picnic in the room; just staying caught up with each other's lives. She's going through lots of her own stuff right now. She had a second low back steroid shot that still hasn't helped.

She's a Branch Manager for Georgia's Own Credit Union (formerly Georgia Telco). Her branch has been in what was BellSouth's executive building...not the big white tower, this is a very nice building close to Colony Square. Since BellSouth's demise, many of her members have retired, moved on, etc. The Credit Union saw this as a wonderful opportunity, new offices in the building meant new members. Alice's branch is moving to a new area of the building, much more visible. It's also growing, doubling in employees working for her. I'm so proud of her. She handles all this so naturally. Those of you who know me might remember my foray into managerial duties. I hated it, feeling like I couldn't do the fun stuff anymore.

So now she's got her back, her new branch and me to balance and I've never heard a real complaint from her.

So anyway, Tuesday was Hanukkah festivities. A few cards, some nice balloons from a dear friend of Alice's, and a pair of zip-up hoodies. I'd asked for these before all this fun began. I realized how nice a sweatshirt with a hood can feel on a cold day...especially with my already folicularly challenged pate. So now, 'when' I lose the rest of it, it'll be just the thing for winter. The doc says it'll still fall out; I say it's been fighting so long to hang around, it's not going anywhere. Good chance the doc's right and I'm wrong but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Today I woke up feeling halfway decent. A good breakfast and onto the bike again...I wanted some endorphines! Did almost 10 miles out there in my 30 minute stint. Not too bad, huh? As usual, the shower I earned felt wonderful.

While typing this, my doc came through doing rounds. He said the worst should be tomorrow and was rather surprised when I told him about my 10 mile ride!

Enough for now.
Thanks for reading,
Jerry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for sending me the blog site. I do think of you in my prayers daily and now that I know your wife's name, I will remember her also.

If you do lose your hair, it will come back twice as full as it was before. Think of myself and Sam Camp. haha We both have a full head of hair now after being bald for a while. It's a strange sensation when it starts coming out though.

Wow ! Bikeriding AND a convict on the floor ! Entertainment abounds there ! haha

Talk to you soon,
Debbie Compton