Sunday, December 2, 2007

Day 2 & 3

The past few days have been different, as I guess I get settled into the routine of the place. Saturday (Day 2), I woke up after what felt like a good rest. Breakfast came and, afterward, I got on the stationary bike in the hall. While there I figured out how to tell mileage vs time. As you might have noticed, there's now a small list here showing how good (or bad in days to come) I get.

The exercise felt GREAT! While riding, my two doctors (one may be a resident) saw me and actually checked me out while on the bike. It was kind of funny to have them listening to my heart and lungs while I'm huffing and puffing. They said it was fine though and to keep up the good work. A bandage change after a shower and I was set for the rest of the day. Too bad I don't remember much for awhile; guess I just spaced out. I know I ate lunch but can see just how easy it is to lose track of time and days. Hopefully, this blog will help.

Much of Saturday seems a blur, until Alice got here around dinnertime.
The Pajama Party was such a great lift. We didn't do much of anything but chat; we always try to touch base about our days whenever we can; it made things seem a bit more normal.

Around 2 or 3 Sunday morning, I had a problem. I was feeling a bit congested and having a little trouble swallowing and my breathing was a little coarse. I laid there for awhile thinking, "if I call the nurse, Alice will wake up and be worried." How stupid can I get, huh? So I did the smart thing, woke her myself, said "it's no big deal but I'm getting a nurse" and did what was necessary. I asked for some Benedryl to clear up the congestion...he also brought a 'pain pill' to ease the swallowing. I found out the next morning it was more oxycodone.

It turns out that the swallowing trouble is normal and it may get worse. It's an inflammation of the mucous linings of the alimentary canal...that's us from our mouth to our anus. Anyway, it's normal for mouth and throat to get inflamed from the chemo. Depending on how far it goes, it can cause other problems and possibly even keepme from eating. Hah, I'd like to see that happen:-). My standing mantra, "we shall see".

So, Sunday morning comes along. We wake up, breakfast shows up after a bit. Alice gets her breakfast from the kitchen and we chow down again. Other than the settings, it was a good way to start the day. After breakfast, Alice heads home...gotta take care of herself and the pets and the house and all the things that normally take two people to do. It's just not the same with only one person doing chores.

Before Alice left, the day nurse, Heather, warns me that my white blood count is starting to come down and I should wear a mask when in the hallway, on the bike. So much for charting how I do, right? So I get on the bike and start pedaling. It's a little strange but what do ya do? I'm a bit slower of course, kind of like a car with a dirty air cleaner, I guess. 25 minutes into a 30 minute ride, the doc comes along and says I don't need the mask. What a difference!

Something caught my eye behind me while I was riding. I turn around and see a small guy walking with two large men in Department of Corrections uniforms behind him. It seems we have a prisoner on the floor. I don't know his story and doubt that I'll find it out. I do know that we're supposed to do 21 laps around the floor (or in my case, some time on the bike). He might have done 5 laps or so. Then again, he also had leg irons on which might give him extra credit for his laps.

While typing this, I just realized that it's laundry day. I've got a few things to wash out...maybe sack out in the laundry/TV room for awhile.

One last thing that seems a little strange, I feel spacey. Not drugged but not totally myself either. The cool part of it is a friend who plays a Theramin sent me a link to a duet he and a friend did. What a great sound. It took me back to the 70's.

3 comments:

Bruce said...

Jerry,

Great talking to you tonight and thanks for calling back! After our conversation I went into my emails and found the one from you with your blog info, so Susan and I just got done reading your updates and really enjoyed the info! Keep up the good work and listen to what they tell you to do (yeh, that will happen!) well at least do what you have to and get better and home soon!

Give our love to Alice also!

Best Regards,

Susan & Bruce

Unknown said...

Jerry,

This is BRAG Anne with the goofy green "dino bike." Ran into Mike at Lindsay's 80th b-day party at Manuel's and he told me about you being at Emory.

I live practically next door to Emory. Let me know if you desire visitors. I'm out of school for December and will drop by if you wish.

Good going on the exercise bike. Motivates me to get on my wind trainer now!

Take care!
ANNE
gypsy@mindspring.com or
klatschtante@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry,

The blog is a great idea, not surprising though from you, just natural. As you can see, despite being late for work, I have managed to figure out how to post....it's the little things, you know?

Keep up your spirits and know we are reading and sending you healing thoughts.

Deb