Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Twists and turns

Life has such strange twists and turns!

I visited with Jerry this morning because I had work related stuff that would keep me busy until late in the evening. He told me that he was very close to the magic combination of numbers with his various blood cells that would add up to his going home! Such terrific news! He might possibly be coming home as soon as tomorrow!

I skipped off to work feeling very happy that I would soon have him home with me where I know he is most comfortable. Late this afternoon he calls with the bad news: he has a virus and he will have to stay in the hospital for at least a week while he undergoes this special treatment for it. I'll leave Jerry to give you all the particulars. He loves that medical stuff.

Well, of course I was deeply disappointed by that news but grateful that he was still where he would excellent medical care; ward 7E at Emory. Then I get another call. They moved him!!! He called because he was just too tired to unpack and needed some help.

Of course, I left for the hospital immediately. I finally found him, at the far end of the hospital. I had to track someone down to get a mask but was not offered a gown or gloves. One look at his room and I'm wanting to beat up somebody! I know hospital rooms aren't known for their beauty, but this one doesn't offer a comfortable chair for him to sit in, it has bent window blinds and who the heck knows where the light switches are! He'd had a dresser to keep his clothes in. In this new room, he has just a small night stand with a couple of small drawers!

At this point, were my mother here, she'd be warning folks to clear out of town as she recognizes the signs of when I am angry. Still, I am mostly keeping my cool. I ask Jerry if he has met his nurse yet, and he said no. He'd been there for a couple hours by then! So, I push the nurse button. Oh, a woman had come in and did bring ice when requested, but she hadn't introduced herself and wasn't wearing a badge to identify herself. Also, she didn't seem to know how often Jerry was supposed to use this breathing contraption - kind of a lung exerciser. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when this same woman came in when we called for the nurse.

Still, I'm trying to remain calm, though I am not a happy camper. I asked her a few questions and her answer was that she hadn't read Jerry's chart yet!!! Rather than make an enemy of the person who would be looking after him for the next little while anyway, I did my best to remain calm and explain to her that we had gotten spoiled on 7E but I still expected him to receive that level of care. I told her I would gladly work with them in any way that would be useful, but that I expected her to keep him as comfortable as possible.

Then I marched up to 7E to ask what the heck happened! I did learn the process of reporting a nurse and I found one of Jerry's favorite nurses, sweet Ida, whom I hadn't met, and asked that she look in on him. I left with grateful tears knowing that someone was there who truly cares about him and would look in on him.

Now it's way past my bedtime but I feel better for having vented here. We still are quite fortunate; Emory is an excellent hospital and I'm sure Jerry will be given excellent care. And if not, they will have to contend with me. As I said to one of my favorite techs on 7E, "Don't mess with my man - I'm a lot meaner than I look!"

Thank you for listening and thank you so very much for your prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry and Alice - Thinking of you both. I'm not surprised how much you've been pushing yourself. I'm pleading with you to follow doctor's orders. Its best in the long run to make continued progress, but at a reaonable pace.

I hope things have improved since yesterday with your new room. Dealing with mood swings and competence of changing nursing staff is frustrating and brings you down. You need them on your side but still need to speak up. Such a delicate balance.

Sending a big hug and love your way.
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hey!!

Yep, sounds like the Jerry we've come to know and love, strongly independent and determined!! Bummer about the virus but sounds more like a blip than a bump..... I've been thinking about you both every day and hope that we'll be able to get together again very, very soon!

Love to both and especially:

RAH RAH RAH!!!

to Jerry......

Ward