Saturday, December 22, 2007

Musical Chairs...or rooms

Okay, it's now about 10pm on Sat., Dec. 22nd.

I was up and in the shower early this morning, figuring I could get it out of the way before the treatments and all the other stuff started. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me that they were starting the treatment later than usual...possibly so they could get the nasal culture back. The first treatment was pretty uneventful...no test results yet.

The second treatment started around 3:30. About 10 minutes into it, Dr Kauffman* walks into my room...this is a major no-no. During the treatments, nobody is allowed in there due to possible side effects. Anyway, he comes in to tell me that the cultures were back and, although still positive, much better than before. He then said if I can avoid any fever tonight and if I continue to look and sound better, then I can go home tomorrow! I'm not getting my hopes up...we've been this close before.

About 15 minutes after his trip to see me, Dr Kauffman came back again. This time telling me that I'm moving again. The good thing about this move is I've got better wi-fi, no more dialup. The bad thing is the room is smaller and has a traction apparatus above me. Instead of a pair of big corner windows in the first room and a single large window on the ground floor, this one is about 3 feet wide but angled in such a way that I can't see anything.

Some of the nurses asked if he really came into the room? Yup...they couldn't believe it.

I'm not exactly sure of my room number...the door says G534 but the note on the whiteboard says G533. BTW, they have me listed as Gerald Lipsky. The phone number should be 404-7122-3533 or -7534. However, during the tent treatments, I don't answer any phone...it's hard to talk through the mask.


*who you might recall was my first Emory doctor. When I came to the hospital, I was seen by Dr. Lonial and then Dr. Lechowicz...they each do a 2 week stint here at the hospital. Now it's come full circle and I'm Dr. Kauffman's patient.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Flamingo,

Sounds like a typical Emory plan. They are moving you to rooms with smaller and less accessible windows to make you want to leave the hospital and go home. I sense their plan is working. But … when you have Alice to look at on a Sunday, who needs a window.

Harry2 @ DMC Gym