Thursday, January 17, 2008

Another Long Overdue Update

It's now January 17th...almost two weeks since my last update. I've had nothing but good news for myself.

Alice went back to work full-time on January 7th. I've been out on my own several times since then; I was able to attend the retirement party of my boss's boss...who I've known for 20+ years. I took Alice out to lunch one day. I even did our grocery shopping last weekend.

I began working "a few hours a day" from home on Monday, January 14th. I've been doing about 3 hours each day. I feel as if I'm actually a part of a team there again. A few things have lain dormant since I left...since they've already been shown to not be very time-sensitive, I'll be working on those for awhile.

Friends came over (one from as far as Warner Robbins) one weekend to do "whatever we needed done". There wasn't much, but one major thing was getting my bike and training stand upstairs. Since then, I've been doing a steady hour on it most days, keeping a careful eye on my heart rate like I promised the doctor. I've already seen quite an improvement and am hoping to be able to do the Bicycle Ride Across Georgia again this year, a week-long trip that this year will go about 400 miles from around Covington to St. Simons Island. I haven't missed one since my first in 2000.

The one thing that reminds me I'm not 100% is sleep; I'm sleeping 9-10 hrs or more every night. In the past, I was good on 7-7.5 hours. It may be a real need or maybe just a habit I've gotten into. I'll probably start setting an alarm next week and maybe start going back to the gym in the morning...seeing how that feels. I'll also allow time for a nap if that seems necessary.

Alice began a non-surgical treatment of her back a few weeks ago. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it works since the only real alternative is probably surgical...not fun for anyone and a long recuperation period.

Thanks for everything.
Jerry

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great progress. It will be really nice to see you two back at the gym. I am prepared. Santa brought me two "Ove" gloves, so I can touch the elliptical right after you make it red hot.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news. God is good.
I will continue to remember you in my prayers. Don't over do it!!!
Jane Butts

Anonymous said...

Wow! you've ome a long way Jerry. Like Harry, I look forward to seeing you back in the gym. It just hasn't been the same without you. Give my best to Alice. I know she is happy to go back to work so she can "rest".
Michael Sanders

Anonymous said...

Dear Jerry,

I just want to tell you I wish you well and a speedy recovery! Please know, you're deep in my prayers!

Your cousin,
Ross C.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jer,
Haven't checked up on you for a while, but good news is worth waiting for! Sounds like you are totally on the mend! GREAT! I knew you would conquer this "inconvenience"! Good for you! Send my best to Alice too!
Love ya, Marla (your other l'il sis)!

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you both last night for Kathi's party, and looking so well. Reading through your blog, it has truly been a wild amyloid 'ride', as your blog name infers. Keep on keeping on and 'pedaling' through! Love to you both, Pat Groves