Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Birth day, of sorts

Jerry was given his stem cell transplant today. The staff treats it like a birth day, with hats and balloons and everything. Sure wish I could have been there for the party! I know Jerry will fill in all the pertinent details.

I packed up some of the scrumptious dinner our generous neighbor brought me yesterday (I will likely get three meals out of it - quite a feast!), the afghan I'm crocheting for Jerry, a couple of odds and ends he asked me to bring and headed over to 7E. It is a restricted floor so you have to press a call button to be let in. What I didn't realize was that the doors don't open automatically. You still have to push. Live and learn.

Once Jerry's dinner was delivered, I popped down to the kitchen and put mine in the microwave so we could actually have dinner together. We even shared desserts. His peach cobbler was a delightful topping on the yummy cheesecake our generous neighbor had included in the feast she delivered.

We generally lead a very quiet life. A typcial day has us arriving home from work around the same time many evenings. We then prepare our dinner together and talk about our day. We typically eat our dinner in front of the TV, watching something we had recorded with the TIVO. I guess we tried to have as much of a normal evening as we could. We talked about our day while waiting for the dinner cart. We didn't watch the TV while eating (a nice change!) but we did turn it on after dinner. Boy, we sure were missing the TIVO!

Overall, we spent a nice, quiet evening. It was nearly normal except for the fact that my husband smelled a lot like creamed corn and he actually fell asleep during a mystery! The smell is a side effect of the chemical (?) used to store/freeze the stem cells. Jerry can fill you in on the names of the various meds, etc. It really makes my head spin.

Jerry was so soundly asleep, he didn't even stir when I kissed him goodnight and left for the day. He'd had quite a full day with meds, meals, more meds and more meals. He did spend 25 minutes on the stationary bike they have on the ward. Even worked up a good sweat. On my to bring next time list is workout clothes. Somethings, blessfully, never change.

Off to dreamland for me. Tomorrow is Friday (thank God!) and I do want to go in early so that I won't feel so guilty when I leave a tad early.

I still cannot thank everyone enough for all the well wishes and prayers on our behalf. I feel we are blanketed with love from many marvelous people. We are indeed blessed.

No comments: