Monday, October 22, 2007

After the Evals

Thursday, Oct 18th:
The day after the two evaluations, I went to my dentist to have a temperature-sensitive tooth looked at. I also found out that I needed a dental signoff before the treatments could begin. Another half day at work, half day at a doctor....getting to be a bad habit.

The dentist decided that the tooth should go and I get referred to Emory's oral surgery center for the extraction. On top of that, he x-ray'ed ALL my teeth to see if there's anything else going on. Lucky for me, they all look good.

Thursday, I call Emory for an appt. The phone is answered quickly but I'm told it'll take 5 minutes for a real person to answer. After 10 minutes, the Emory commercials end and the phone rings...and rings...and rings...etc. Patiently, I wait another 5 minutes and then hang up. The second time, I'm told it's only a 2 minute wait...at the end of which the phone rings...and rings....until I hang up again.
A note to Sarah, the "transplant coordinator" and all-around go-to person gets answered early friday morning. It turns out that Emory's dental center closes at 4...I called at 4:10! So why can't their voicemail say that:-(.

Friday, Oct 19th:
So Sarah contacts them and is told they're booked until late November..too late to be done in time. Back to the dentist for another referral...
He calls them and is told that, if I talk with Laurie, they'll squeeze me in. I look at the clock and it's now 4:05. At least this time I know better than to even try calling until Monday.

After work Friday, we headed to our favorite weekend getaway near Callaway Gardens. What great timing; we made these plans a year ago...an annual picnic with friends we've made through a b&b over the past few years.

We all stayed up late playing "nines", an almost mindless card game that's become a tradition here at Magnolia Hall. Lots of jokes and laughter surround the game...exactly what I need.

Saturday, Oct 20th:
The next morning, over coffee, we find that one of the guests was taken to the hospital with chest pains and trouble breathing overnight. But she's back now and joins us for breakfast, albeit a little late. Turns out it was probably an anxiety attack. But it also highlights just how fragile life can be. Anything can happen at any time with no warning. I realize just how fortunate I truly am to have caught this disease so early.

Saturday, the weather is gorgeous and the picnic is pretty good. A local couple throw this every year for a few thousand of their best friends...being guests at the B&B qualifies us. Great barbecued chicken and ribs. Corn on a cob cooked in their husks...the husks get peeled back and used as handles. And the dessert table is about 15 feet long, every inch of which is covered with homemade goodies. As usual, we will all make reservations at the B&B for next year before the weekend ends.

After the picnic, everyone seems pretty wiped out. Some are chatting on the porch; I came inside to put my swollen feet and ankles up for awhile...the edema has been getting worse and I hope to go on a stronger diuretic on Monday to help (and maybe I'll be able to fit into my shoes again).
For dinner, we've got reservations for 12 people at a little hole in the wall bar/restaurant where they have fantastic food and pool tables; what a combination, huh. I ate very well that evening and I know I'll sleep well tonight.

Sunday, October 21st:
Another wonderful breakfast followed by a trip home. I ran a few errands and then fell asleep in a chair...not something I do very often.

One thing that, looking back, I've left out. When we got to the B & B, we discovered that our room was upstairs...a very nice suite of rooms. Unfortunately, it's at the top of a single staircase that's 24 steps high. I got to the top and was winded. That really surprised me. Looking back, I've also noticed that by the end of a typical work day, I'm tired when I get home. Again, a surprise. I had been in pretty good shape so to watch my strength begin going away is a little depressing. At least I know we're going to fix this. And I suppose it'll help me get ready for being weakened by the chemo.


Monday, October 22nd:
This morning, I was able to work out the tooth extraction with Laurie from the Emory dental clinic. We're on for Friday, the 26th. To make things easier, they're going to do it with only a local anesthetic. That means I can drive to/from it by myself. One more obstacle hurdled successfully. Of course, I'm ignoring life lesson #237 but I don't always learn from my mistakes.

Now I'm waiting for a return call from my nephrologist...again. My feet and ankles are swollen. I really wish I took his Lasix prescription when I saw him.

No comments: